Exercise is an important aspect to maintain good health at any age. Exercise has been shown to help prevent and manage chronic conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.
There are a lot of benefits for seniors who exercise, but it can be difficult to find the time or motivation to work out. A sedentary lifestyle can lead to a number of health issues, including heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.
Exercise is good for seniors as it helps in improving their strength and balance as well as reducing the risk of falling.
Even though it is not easy for every senior to start an exercise program, there are many ways in which they can manage to do so. The use of videos and exercise equipment provides many benefits for seniors trying to workout.
For example, videos make it easier for the user by providing a visual on how to perform exercises correctly while equipment takes away the physical stress on joints.
It is always important to consult your doctor before starting any new exercise routine.
Starting an exercise routine for the first time can be daunting and intimidating. It's always a good idea to talk to your doctor about it, and make sure you have all the information you need before starting.
If you have been inactive for a long period of time, consult with your physician or physical therapist before beginning any new workout regimen.
If you need help in choosing the right fitness regimen for you or your loved one, contact us here so we can help you.
***We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site at no additional cost to you.
What are the benefits of exercise for seniors?
Studies have shown that exercise is good for seniors, and there are multiple benefits to it.
The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) says that one can reap the benefits of exercise for seniors by improving their bone density, preventing falls, decreasing risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and improving mental health.
Exercise has also been found to help with brain function. Those who are able to engage in moderate aerobic exercise show an increase in their cognitive abilities.
Exercise is not only good for the body, but also the mind. It improves cognitive function and mood. It also strengthens the immune system and reduces joint pain.
A study in Neurology found that subjects who exercised had better cognitive function, lower risk of depression, reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, and lower risk of dementia. A study published in Clinical Interventions in Aging found that exercise reduced joint pain among seniors.
Also, a study from Harvard Medical School showed that physical activity helps reduce inflammation and cardiovascular disease among seniors.
Exercising has many benefits for seniors aside from weight control or building muscle mass. Exercise can help to improve cognitive function, mood, mental health, physical health and can reduce inflammation or cardiovascular disease among seniors.
What should you look for in exercise equipments for seniors?
Exercise equipment at home makes it easier for seniors to stay active and strong.
The equipment can be set up in a way that it does not require much effort in order to use them, which keeps their muscles going strong. They can have equipment in their own home so they don't have to worry about transportation or waiting to use the machine at the gym.
Here are some of the things you should look out for when buying exercise videos or equipments for seniors:
1. Exercise equipment for seniors should be lightweight and easy to maneuver.
2. It should be ergonomic so it is comfortable for you to use for an extended period of time.
3. It should also provide the necessary stability so that you don't need to worry about falling over while you are exercising.
4. The device should not have buttons or any other obstructions that could lead to accidents or injuries.
5. The equipment should be of good quality and easily available in the market.
What should you look for in exercise videos for seniors?
Working out at home is a great way to stay fit and healthy without the need to drive or find other ways of getting to the gym. It also means that you can work out whenever you want. There are many benefits for seniors to exercise at home.
Exercising in the comfort and safety of your own home is a fantastic alternative for seniors who want to maintain their fitness but have limited mobility or are unable to get around easily outside.
Working out at home will help seniors overcome any limitations they might have in terms of physical activity, such as bad weather or dangerous traffic conditions. With workouts being done from the comfort of one's own living room, there's no excuses not to get active!
Researchers have found that seniors who engage in home exercises are more likely to be active than those who do not. This is a promising outlook for the elderly population because it means that they can maintain their independence and keep their quality of life up.
Here are the things you should look for in exercise videos for seniors:
1. Make sure the video is suitable for your current fitness level and also addresses the age group you're in.
2. The video should be easy to follow and have a good pace. It's better if it shows the entire sequence of exercises as well as proper form for each move, and discusses any potential risks or challenges you might face while exercising.
3. What kind of equipment does the video use? You might need a chair or a mat to do some exercises, and some videos are more suitable for beginners than others depending on what kind of equipment is used.
4. What's your budget? No matter how much you spend on videos, always make sure that you can afford it in your budget before getting one.
5. Does the video provide helpful tips that are applicable to your needs?
Our list of the 15 best exercise videos and equipment for seniors
Balance & Strength Exercises for Seniors: 9 Practices, with Traditional Exercises, and Modified Tai Chi, Yoga & Dance Based Movements
Improve your flexibility, balance, and overall fitness while being surrounded by the beauty of Glacier National Park! This DVD has 9 different sessions that are 8 to 31 minutes long and can be performed anywhere.
The practices draw upon the best traditional exercises, tai chi based movements specifically developed to improve balance in older adults, modified yoga poses, and easy dance-based stepping movements.
Your balance will be challenged in many different ways to improve the way you move. All movements are taught in mirror vision with clear instructions and demonstrations so you know exactly how to do them. You'll mostly be working standing exercises unless indicated otherwise.
Expert instructor Jane Adams designed & taught this course with over 2,500 good reviews. It's a great balance with a lot of helpful information about living an active, independent life and preventing falls.
Jane's goal was to put together the most useful balance & strength exercises for seniors in one affordable DVD
Bundle: Tai Chi Fit OVER 50 & TO GO with David-Dorian Ross / Beginner DVDs for Balance and Stability
David-Dorian's easy, low-impact tai chi exercise can be done sitting or standing with no previous experience needed. Beginner-friendly, whole body movements to the left and right - without painstaking memorization! Can be practiced at any age.
Deep breathing is an excellent stress management technique. It calms your mind and body on a cellular level and boosts your immune response. It's something that anyone can learn to do, regardless of their age or fitness levels, by watching and following the videos.
Perfect for seniors, those with limited mobility, or anyone looking for some gentle exercise, the OVER 50 workout combines basic tai chi moves and energizing qigong exercises for an easy, whole-body workout. You’ll be relaxed and breathing deep in no time.
Tai Chi Fit: OVER 50 allows anyone to experience the wonderful feeling and benefits of tai chi without the stress of needing to memorize the movements. Just follow along, have fun, and keep smiling! Keep your practice interesting with three 20-Minute Tai Chi Fit TO GO Workouts.
In Tai Chi Fit: TO GO, David-Dorian helps you to find time for your tai chi practice with three different 20-minute workouts. The moves are shown in mirror-view, repeated to the left and right before a simple transition takes you to the next step. What if you only have a short time for your tai chi workout? What if you only have limited space?
The Tai Chi Fit: TO GO workouts are portable, "pocket-sized" sequences that you can do anytime, anywhere. This program is perfect for beginners and experienced tai chi practitioners wanting some relaxing exercise and a few moments of tranquility during your day. (DVDs play in all regions / Region 0)
Tai Chi For Arthritis by AAA Physical Therapy
Price: 24 sessions ($5/session) = $120
We can say that this is one of the best classes we have on the list. Unlike non-interactive DVD lessons we have on this list, this one will walk you through Tai Chi forms with a certified physical therapist.
Learn Tai Chi for Arthritis and use this to gain benefits of movement mindfulness, and internal and external balance, with their Tai Chi for Health instructor, Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adult and Chronic Pain Coach, Nina Evangelista, PT.
Although there are videos & books that you can rent or purchase on Tai chi, make sure to still seek guidance from a qualified tai chi instructor to gain the maximum benefits and learn proper techniques for this ancient Chinese martial arts.
AAA Physical Therapy has a certified Tai chi instructor who understands arthritis and make the Tai Chi For Arthritis Class safe for you. Your instructor will also make sure that you are doing the movements correctly so you get the maximum benefit.
Sit & Be Fit: Diabetes & Balance Workouts: Senior Chair Fitness
Three complete workouts for seniors!
As seen on Public TV, registered nurse Mary Ann Wilson creates and leads exercises for those with diabetes designed to improve circulation, plus balance exercises to help improve leg strength, eye tracking, flexibility, posture and breathing. Running time: 81 minutes.
Senior Exercise DVD System- 5 DVDs + Resistance Band + Balance Exercises + Nutrition Guide + 3 Bonus Gifts
Join Curtis Adams, host of national exercise TV series A New Way 2 Move, for this exciting senior DVD workout program. Grow young with Curtis.
The system includes all the tools you need for maximum results: 5DVDs, resistance band, better balance guide, nutrition booklet, and workout calendar.
Invigorating senior exercise program with CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS that you will enjoy for years. Great workout for beginners
EASY-TO-FOLLOW total body senior workout program: cardio, abs, core, strength training, balance, posture, stretching
Core targeting to help TRIM YOUR WAISTLINE and strengthen your back and abs
Great low impact workouts which are the perfect pace for seniors but still CHALLENGING and EFFECTIVE
These exercise are SO MUCH FUN, not slow and repetitive like many other exercise videos for seniors
Includes Simply Seated: the best chair workout DVD for seniors and Strength Training: the top resistance band DVD for seniors
Every exercise is demonstrated BOTH seated in a chair and standing, so you can go at your own pace.
This senior fitness program was specifically designed for senior citizens with safety in mind. There are some exercises that are unsafe for those over 60; it is so IMPORTANT that you follow an instructor that won't put you at risk of injury.
Stronger Seniors® Stretch and Strength DVDs- 2 disc Chair Exercise Program
The 'Stretch' program will gently guide you through movements that will loosen up your joints and muscles while increasing your flexibility and mobility.
The 'Strength' program has 3 parts - Chair Aerobics, Weight Training in a chair, and exercises that will specifically improve your balance.
Stretch and Strength covers all the bases. By following this carefully designed chair exercise program, you will meet the recommendations of doctors and health professionals to improve health and help prevent chronic illness.
The Stronger Seniors® Workout Program is designed by Certified Fitness Instructor and Faculty Provider Anne Pringle Burnell to help seniors develop strength and to enhance the ability to function in daily life.
These two fitness DVDs work together to improve your ability to be stable and balanced, to stay mobile, to go up and down stairs, to squat and pick something up, and to play with your grandchildren!
Exercise Videos & Equipment for Seniors: Treadmills
Treadmills have been shown to be a good option for seniors who are looking for an easy and effective way to exercise. With the help of treadmills, they are able to exercise while staying in the comfort of their home.
We all know that lack of physical activity is not good for our health or longevity. It can lead to obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even cancer. But exercising every day has always been something that we tend to put off until tomorrow.
When it is too difficult or physically impossible for seniors to go outside and exercise, treadmills provide a more convenient and comfortable option.
Sunny Health & Fitness Exercise Treadmills
- STURDY, QUIET & HIGH QUALITY: Solid steel construction with extra shock absorption system makes your indoor run or walk a steady and effective cardio workout while getting the best value from the Sunny treadmills
- LCD MONITOR & PULSE GRIP: Monitors the heart and pulse rate, track distance and time, includes 9 workout programs that keep you challenged with your fitness goals
- ADJUSTABLE INCLINE & SHOCK ABSORPTION: Tune up your workout with 3 levels of adjustable incline, less impact on your legs and joints with built-in treadmill cushioning vs. hard asphalt
- COMPACT, PORTABLE & GREAT VALUE: 49L x 16W in tread belt. Easily fold up to 32.5L X 27W X 58H inches in 5 seconds, 2 transportation wheels make it easier than ever to move this treadmill without damaging your floors
- SPEED RANGE: 0.5 to 9 mph, max user weight limit is 220 lb
Sunny Health & Fitness Walking Treadmill with Low Wide Deck and Multi-Grip Handrails for Balance
SHOCK ABSORPTION: Exercising on the low step-up height treadmill is made easy with its sizable (44L x 19.5Winches) running deck that supports up to 295 lb. The included shock absorption technology in the running deck reduces the impact on joints when walking or jogging on its surface.
CAPABLE MOTOR: Walk and jog between 0.6mph and 5 mph by using the 2.5-peak horsepower motor on the indoor treadmill. Make quick speed adjustments by using the speed buttons on the console.
TRANSPORTATION WHEELS: This portable treadmill can be moved from room to room with its front-mounted transportation wheels. Its low-profile design makes the fitness equipment easy to store.
USER-FRIENDLY CONSOLE: The simple design keeps you focused on your workout. A glance at the console to track your duration, distance, calories burned. Use the mode button to personalize workout goals during each exercise session.
EXTENSIVE HANDRAILS: Use the multi-grip handrails that sit along the top, middle, and sides of the low-deck treadmill for extra support. Maintain a comfortable grip with the thick and padded handlebars.
Exercise Videos & Equipment for Seniors: Exercise Bikes
Exercise bikes are the best option for seniors because it is easy on the joints. It offers a low-impact workout that is perfect for people with joint pain or others that may be recovering from a recent surgery.
Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike
Achieve a full body workout and burn more calories with Cross Training Magnetic Recumbent Bike. The upper body handle bars transform this recumbent bike into the ultimate low impact home fitness machine.
Handle bars move back and forth while pedaling involving, the arms, back, and shoulders, this will increase the amount of effort during the entire movement resulting in increased calorie expenditure.
Maximum weight capacity of 350 lb accommodates most users. Portable wheels make moving simple.
Vanswe Recumbent Exercise Bike
This Vanswe Recumbent Exercise Bike allows you to program your Workout Goals inside your home. Customize your workout with its 16 preset levels of smooth magnetic resistance.
This recumbent bike with a weight capacity of up to 380 lbs comes equipped with a wide and large LED screen that displays time, distance, speed, odometer, pulse and calories,the tablet support is convenient for watching movies or training when riding.
YOSUDA Indoor Cycling Bike Stationary
Well-built exercise bike from the inside out. With its rock-solid foundation and atheletic aesthetic design, it's at the top of the game.
Thickened frame tube, precision manufacturing,overcomes the wobbly defect of most cycle bikes in the market. Gives you safer riding. Excellent bearing capacity for riders up to 330LBS.
This is an energetic spinning bike, bringing you a cycling experience which is compared with spin classes!
CRUSSAC Portable Exercise Pedal Bike
One of our most cost effective exercise equipment in this list.
- ARMS AND FEET MINI HOME BIKE PEDDLER: The FitByk Mini Bike Peddler can be used both for the arms and feet. The hand/ foot pedal exerciser can be rotated clockwise and anticlockwise, giving your arms and feet an effective and strengthening workout. It is an at-home solution to enjoying working out.
- ADJUSTABLE KNOB AND FOOT PEDAL: This home workout bike peddler comes with an adjustable knob on the side to set the perfect resistance for your workout. It also has an adjustable bike pedal strap that works well for varying foot/ shoe sizes and does not interrupt your exercise routine.
- JOINT PAIN RELIEF MINI EXERCISE PEDDLER: Using this peddler will help relieve sore muscles and help you eliminate joint aches and pains caused due to excessive sitting down. This mini exercise bike peddler is the perfect way to loosen up your hand and leg muscles.
- PORTABLE AND UNDER-DESK PEDAL EXERCISER: At home or work, this is the best way to make sure that you work out regularly. This mobile and portable mini bike pedaling machine gives you the ability to work out, keeping it under your work desk or anywhere at home!
- DIGITAL MONITOR: FitByk’s adjustable mini bike exercise pedaling machine has an LCD monitor that digitally displays vital metrics like exercise time, speed, distance, RPM, and amount of calories burned during your workout. It helps you stay on track and motivated.
Exercise Videos & Equipment for Seniors: Steppers
Steppers are a great way to get in shape, improve cardiovascular health, and fight against the negative effects of aging.
The two main reasons that seniors should exercise on steppers are for improved cardiovascular health and to combat the negative effects of aging. This is because as we age, our heart and lungs start to weaken.
Exercise helps keep these organs healthy and working at their best. Regular aerobic exercise also improves bone density, so it reduces the risk of falls or fractures later in life.
Afully Mini Stair Stepper
- Expert engineering and quality materials enables the total body advanced step machine to feature a max user weight of 220 lb
- This one comes with professional LCD monitor,which measures the steps, time, calories and total, making your exercise more reasonable and effective, and achieve the ultimate goal of weight loss.
- The fitness step exercise machine has a built-in hydraulic drive system, which can provide smooth stepping movement.The climbing resistance helps reduce knee pressure.
- This mini stair stepper use oversized pedals with silicone anti-skid pads as well as skid-resistant floor protectors to keep your balance when you exercise.
- It also has upper body resistance bands that provide a comprehensive workout to tone your arms, shoulders, back and chest muscles.
Sunny Health & Fitness Versa Stepper
- Performance monitor allows you to track your progress toward your fitness goals.
- Resistance bands are foam padded, perfect for a non-slip grip.
- Removable exercise bands work arms, chest, back, and shoulders for total body workout.
- Oversized footplates with non-slip grip help secure feet in place.
- Built with a hydraulic drive system, this workout machine provides a smooth stepping motion.
MBAT Mini Stepper
- A Big LCD Display: Grab everything you need on this screen: scan mode, stride/mins, counter, and timer. All we try to do is make you exercise more reasonable and effective.
- Ergonomically Designed: High quality Hydraulic driving system with special ergonomic revolving shaft design to provide bigger step distance (9 inches in height) and comfortable motion tracking. With High elasticity resistance bands for total body workout.
- Durable Construction: This mini stepper is compact with space saving design with heavy duty construction frame, which is suitable for a maximum user's weight of 250lbs.
- Large Foot Pedal: Over size pedal (14 inches x 4.8 inches )with non - slip rubber sheet, makes exercise safer and more comfortable. Four Non-slip pads are adopted to meet the requirements of different sizes.
- Extended Warranty: Extended 12-Month Warranty. Also, if you want to upgrade to their Lifetime Warranty, you can follow their Instagram account and message them there.